Name of Game:
Number of Students:
Use substitution to practice vocabulary
- Break students into teams
- Each team will select a student to be the writer
- The teacher writes a sentence on the board with a blank in it, such as “I like ___.”
- Each team must fill in the blank with as many English words as possible in one minute
- Have teams turn in their papers and mark the correct answers
- Explain the incorrect ones.
- The team with the most correct answers wins
- Have teams change writers, write a new sentence, and play again
Make sentences structures that allow students to practice grammar structures they are learning, such as countable and uncountable nouns. Students get pretty loud shouting out answers to their writers so be sure to close the doors and windows.