Name of Game:
Number of Students:
Groups of 2
Use word lists to create sentences
- Give each student a photocopy of a list of 150-300 mixed words
- Have students make sentences with the words
- Who can make the shortest sentence?
- Who can make the longest sentence?
- Who can make the most sentences?
This is a great time to emphasize capitalization and punctuation, and teach sentence types and give examples such as:
- Imperative: Do it!
- Interrogative: Do What?
- Declarative: Do this.
- Exclamatory: Help me!
Textbooks are allowed, as are superlatives, past tenses, plurals and other suffixes, etc. that can be devised from the basic words on the list:
- SAY: said, saying, says, etc.
- BAD: badder, baddest, badly, badness, etc.
Some possible sources for your word list:
The 500 Most Commonly Used Words in the English Language
The 100 Most Commonly Used Verbs in the English Language